If you spend most of the night sleeping on your stomach, and you are waking up feeling unrested, stiff or achey, then you could very well be using a pillow that is not designed for your specific sleeping style. Did you know that using a pillow that is specific for stomach sleepers will actually give you a much better night’s sleep, and leave you feeling much more satisfied with your rest? Well now you do! But do you know what to look for when buying a pillow for stomach sleepers? Check out our buying guide for the best pillow for stomach sleepers!
Our Top 5 Pillows For Stomach Sleepers
1. DC Pillows Ultra Slim Sleeper Memory Foam Pillow
The Ultra Slim Sleeper pillow by DC Pillows is a good option for if you are a stomach sleeper due to its very thin (2.5 inches) loft. Although memory foam is normally known for being thick and plush, this pillow actually remains thin and firm which is what you need as a stomach sleeper.
What’s more, the pillow’s firmness ensures that it doesn’t collapse, create dips or shift while you sleep. Instead, it always maintains its shape. Additionally, the memory foam interior is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and bacteria, so you can rest easy knowing it’s super clean.
Furthermore, this pillow offers great support due to its excellent firmness and great cradling and contouring abilities. It allows your head to rest comfortably into your ideal position, and then supports your head and neck, meaning no aches or pains in the morning.
And, if you are someone who enjoys sleeping on your stomach with one arm beneath the pillow, this is a great option because its thin profile means that it still won’t be too high and won’t throw your neck or head out of alignment.
2. The Pancake Pillow
The Pancake Pillow is made up of 6 individual microfiber sections which are removable, making the pillow adjustable to fit your unique preference and height. The microfiber interior is a good option if you are a stomach sleeper because not only is it hypoallergenic, it also helps you to sleep cool by wicking away moisture and heat from your head.
In addition, the Pancake Pillow comes with a removable and machine washable cover that is made from 300 count cotton. What’s more, this pillow contours well to the shape of your head and cradles it effortlessly.
Although it is fairly firm, it is comfortable and very supportive. Being able to adjust the thickness is great because it allows you to perfectly position your head and neck, creating good spinal alignment and therefore reducing pain or pressure points.
3. Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
The Ultra Slim Sleeper by Elite Rest is also a great option if you are a stomach sleeper. It is 3 inches thick which allows your head to rest in a comfortable and aligned position which helps to minimize pressure points and reduce pain or stiffness in the morning.
This pillow is made from a single piece of memory foam, which normally isn’t ideal for stomach sleepers because it normally can’t be fluffed into position. However, the Ultra Slim Sleepers combats that – due to its thickness, it doesn’t actually need to be plumped.
Additionally, this pillow is firm which is ideal for stomach sleepers. It doesn’t create dips beneath your head, but instead, the firmness supports your weight while cradling it in a comfortable position.
4. Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
The Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow is another really great option for those of you who sleep on your stomach. It’s great because its inner material is made of shredded pieces of foam which allows you to mold, fluff and plump the pillow in any way you need to ensure it is in the best position for you.
Even though you can twist the pillow into your ideal shape, the memory foam material still gives you an adequate amount of spring support that is needed for your neck and back.
In addition, it comes with a removable and machine washable bamboo cover that, like the interior foam, is hypoallergenic and dust-mite resistant.
5. Exceptional Sheets Extra Soft Down Filled Pillow
This pillow is a little bit different from the rest of the pillows we have recommended because it actually doesn’t have the same thin profile that is ideal for stomach sleepers. Instead, the Extra Soft Down Filled Pillow by Exceptional Sheets is actually a lot thicker but has a good amount of ‘give’ when you lay your head on it.
The thickness and softness allow your head to fall into the pillow, while still being supported and cradled well due to the soothing, soft and luxurious white goose down filling. Because the filling is soft, you are able to mold and adjust the pillow into whatever shape you enjoy.
Additionally, you can wash the whole pillow which means you can ensure it is always exceptionally clean. The pillow also comes in sizes standard and queen so you can take your pick to suit your needs.
And the winner is….
The Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow! We have chosen this pillow as our winner because we think it has all the qualities which make it ideal for a stomach sleeper. These features include:
It is made from shredded memory foam which means that you can adjust the amount of filling to suit you. If it’s too high when it arrives, simply remove some of the filling until you feel your head and neck are positioned just right.
The shredded memory foam also allows you to twist, mold or position the pillow in any which way you desire. Adjusting a pillow just for you is going to give you your best and most relaxed night’s rest.
In addition, the shredded foam filling is bouncy yet supportive, so you get all the great support you would from a single piece of memory foam, but with the support and comfort of a spring. This ensures your neck and head are supported which leads to reduced pressure points and less stiffness or pain when you wake up.
Furthermore, the Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow comes with a bamboo cover that is eco-friendly, hypoallergenic, dust-mite resistant, removable and washable, which means you can always keep it clean.
Last but not the least, this pillow comes from a reputable company that gives you a 5 year warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee on their products.
Did you know that using a pillow that is actually suited to your stomach sleeping style has a ton of really impressive benefits? If you haven’t been using a suitable pillow for your sleeping position, then you may not be aware of how much better it could actually be for you and your body. This guide will discuss who stomach sleeping pillows are for, the benefits of using a stomach sleeping pillow and things to consider when buying a stomach sleeping pillow.
Who are stomach sleeping pillows for?
The most obvious answer here is, they are for people who tend to mostly sleep on their stomach for the majority of the night. Although many adults tend to maintain their position through the night, a lot of children actually move around and can often be found to be sleeping on their fronts, so it may be a good idea to invest in a stomach sleeping pillow for your little ones.
They are also a good option for pregnant women who can’t sleep directly on their stomachs but need extra support for their sides which allows them to sleep at a comfortable angle.
Benefits of stomach sleeping pillows:
– Better Spinal Alignment: If you are stomach sleeper you will often find that a pillow that is too thick will make your neck lie in an awkwardly high position, which will throw your spine out of alignment and be very uncomfortable. In the same way, a pillow that is too thin or that doesn’t have adequate support will not allow your spine to rest comfortably either.
When you get a pillow that is designed for stomach sleepers, your head will be forced into the correct position to help align your spine.
– Reduces Pain: Because your spine will be aligned into the correct position when using the right pillow, pain or pressure in areas including your neck, back and shoulders can be significantly reduced. As a result, waking up full of aches and pains will be a thing of the past.
– Reduced snoring: A pillow that is well suited for your sleeping style will help you breathe easier and clear up blocked airways, which in turn, reduces the possibility of snoring.
Now that you know the benefits of buying the right pillow, what is stopping you from purchasing a pillow that is meant for you? If you are not sure exactly what to look for, we’ve got you covered. There are several things that are very important to consider when it comes to purchasing the right pillow for you as a stomach sleeper, in order to get your best night’s sleep. These include:
Things to consider when selecting the best stomach sleeping pillow:
– Temperature: It can be particularly easy if you are a stomach sleeper to become hot or sweaty throughout the night because your head is normally buried into the pillow. This is why it is a good idea to purchase a pillow which has a good amount of airflow or sleeps cool. This can come down to the material, cooling technologies or design of the cover.
– Firmness: A firmer pillow will be best if you are a stomach sleeper because if your pillow is too soft, your head will be too low or lack support.
– Loft Height: Although you may like the look of a fluffy and big pillow, this may not be the best option for you. If your pillow is too high, your neck and head will be forced into a position that is too high which will cause you pain or discomfort. What you need is a thin, firm pillow!
Although these pillows don’t look so inviting, they will in fact provide you a better night’s sleep. Please keep in mind though that there are a select few thicker pillows that will still be good for you. These include the Exceptional Sheets Extra Soft Down Filled Pillow we discussed earlier.
– Memory Foam: Memory Foam is one of the most suitable materials if you are a stomach sleeper because it contours and cradles your head while still supporting your neck and back. It also doesn’t lose any shape over time. Also, shredded memory foam will be better than a solid foam pillow, because shredded foam can be fluffed or patted to provide the ideal height for you, whereas a solid piece of memory foam cannot.
– Gel Filled: Gel filled pillows are often a good option if you are a stomach sleeper because the filling is generally adjustable.
– Microbead: Microbead pillows are another good option if you are a stomach sleeper because they are filled with hypoallergenic beads (often made from buckwheat or micro foam beads) that are adjustable. Additionally, they tend to have a good amount of airflow which wicks away moisture or heat from your head, keeping your head comfortably cool throughout the night.
So when it comes to shopping for a pillow that is right for you, you need to think mainly about the material, temperature, firmness, and the height or thickness of the pillow. If you choose a pillow that meets these 4 criteria, then you will have a pillow that allows you to wake up pain free and having had a good night’s sleep.